Industry Analysis & Industry Trends
The UK Sound Recording and Music Publishing industry produces, promotes and distributes original sound recordings and manage rights for compositions. There are two distinct businesses within this industry: music publishers, which earn about 78% of revenue; and sound recording studios, which draw the other 22%. The services of are used by record companies, advertising agencies and media industries.
Over the five years to 2012-13 revenue is expected to have increased a moderate compound annual rate of 1.5%. Despite falling record sales, industry operators have adapted relatively well to the resulting falls in mechanical revenue by developing new revenue streams, in particular with the television, film, radio and video game industries... purchase to read more
Industry Report - Industry Analysis Chapter
For several years, the music industry has been adjusting a new environment brought about by the growth of digital music, which has caused physical record sales to plummet. The effect on the end market has been dramatic with several large music retailers in the United Kingdom to close. The changing environment has affected music publishers and recording studios in different ways. There are two distinct businesses within this industry: music publishers, which earn the larger share of revenue at about 78%; and sound recording studios, which earn the other 22%. Although related, these two businesses are moving in different directions. Demand for sound recording studios has waned as record companies have cut back spending on producing recorded music... purchase to read more